Some organizations, especially smaller ones without a large in-house IT team, often opt to use third-party software in their operations.
This comes with some advantages, but it also often presents disadvantages.
Is it advisable for a company to accept third-party software that can be modified, maintained, or even completely outsourced to the original developers? Or would it be better to develop custom software from scratch?
Continue reading to discover some advantages and disadvantages of both options.
This option involves a scenario where you and your company commission the development of custom software for your needs to an in-house development team or an external software house.
- You get the solution you need with specific features required by your company.
- An in-house tool can be continuously modified as needs change over time.
- Long-term financial savings are guaranteed.
- You will need to invest more money initially for development and onboarding.
- It will take time to develop a tool, so you may need to find temporary solutions in the interim, such as a stopgap solution.
If an in-house solution seems too demanding for your company or your client, there are still further considerations to evaluate before investing in third-party software that is already available on the market, where you will be limited to its configuration only.
- They have a lower cost.
- Third-party software is more likely to include integrated connectors with other technologies.
- Since ready-to-use solutions are now available, implementation can proceed smoothly and quickly.
- When you no longer control a tool, you are dependent on others to solve your problems.
- Third-party tools will become increasingly expensive over time as you will have to continue paying for them and prices may increase.
- The companies you rely on may close down or have security issues, causing you to lose everything you have in their systems, completely blocking your business and damaging your credibility.
At Colibryx, we can develop any type of software with customized functionalities.
With a simple (free) consultation, we will understand your needs and prepare an investment plan necessary to solve all your software problems.